Honors ProgramThe following honors are open to all students at MVHS. Other honors are available through specific departments and various community organizations. Please refer to the Honors handbook in the school library or the counseling area for a complete listing and outline of qualifications and other awards. Freshman and Sophomore years are essential in qualifying for honors. Avoid regrets as a junior and senior by being aware of the qualifications and setting goals for these as you enter high school.
Honor Roll Designations
An A is counted as 4 grade points, a B - 3 points, a C - 2 points, and a D - 1 point. The same point system is used in figuring class rank and accumulative grade averages on permanent records. A grade of a U in a class eliminates the student from honor roll.
- High Honors--no graded shall be below an A- and the nine week GPA must be 4.00.
- Maroon Honors--the nine week GPA must be between 3.50 and 3.99.
- Gray Honors--the nine week GPA must be between 3.00 and 3.49.
Grade requirements to be considered for National Honor Society membership are:
- Sophomores, 3.5 GPA
- Juniors, 3.5 GPA
- Seniors, 3.5 GPA
Honor students will be indicated as follows in the commencement program, newspaper publications, etc.:
- Highest Honor, 3.9 or Above
- High Honor, 3.7 to 3.9
- Honor, 3.5 to 3.7
- Highest Honor, gold stole
- High Honor, gold honor cord
- Honor, maroon and gray honor cord